Thursday 22 October 2009

Finsbury Square Farmers' Market


It didn't quite feel like autumn in London until Friday, when I met up with some of the Fifteen crew (Joe, Tas, Wendy, and others) to help out at the Finsbury Square farmers' market, which we attend once a month. Something about the fall produce and brisk wind made me realize that the warm weather was finally over.
---
We prepared hearty seasonal dishes like sandwiches, brownies, and an Italian beef stew with white beans and tomatoes, served with a square of homemade rosemary focaccia. SO GOOD. Yet another wonderful excuse for me to snack all day long!
---
Wafting from other vendors' tents were aromas of toasted fairtrade coffee beans, grilled smoky apple sausages, and freshly baked artisan breads and scones. There was also a gentleman selling produce, and with friends coming for dinner, I couldn't help but to grab a few parsnips and sweet potatoes (still encrusted with soil) to mash. As he handed me my change, I noticed how calloused his hands were, coated with a light layer of dirt from handling the crops. It always surprises me when I think of how rare it is that we actually see the hands that cultivate our food, especially in metropolitan London.
---
After spooning pesto onto sandwich after sandwich beside my new coworkers, I felt really comfortable with them. But what solidified my trust in my new friends at the restaurant, and in Fifteen as a whole, happened right at the end of the day as we were packing up. A homeless man approached the tent asking if we had any leftover food. Without hesitation, Joe said warmly, "of course we do, mate" and even proceeded to ask him what type of sandwich he wanted. This generosity was paralleled by one of the bread vendors, who offered up his leftover bread at the end of the day to whomever wanted it (I cheerily left the market with ciabatta and a brioche!), and also by the coffee sellers, who brought over hot cappucinos to our tent as the weather became colder.
---
I absolutely love this type of community outreach, especially when I know that the product I'm selling is supporting such a good cause. I can't wait to go back next month!















No comments:

Post a Comment