Thursday 22 October 2009

In the Whites!


Yesterday I helped out in the kitchen! I have since gained a new appreciation for the humble artichoke. After laboriously prepping a box of the little guys-- peeling their stems, cutting away excess leaves, halving them, and spooning out their "chokes" (the pulpy bit inside)--I will never look at an artichoke dish on a menu the same way again.















I also made aioli... by hand. When I asked why they didn't just chuck the ingredients into a blender and call it a day, Sam, one of the cooks, told me that they really emphasize the basics in their kitchen, so that the apprentices learn proper technique from the ground up. He said, "if all that the apprentices know about an aioli is how to throw things into a blender and flip a switch, then we haven't achieved our purpose. Doing it by hand makes them aware of the technique involved in making an emulsion."

It was a joy to work beside the passionate cooks, most of whom are right around my age. One of the more memorable conversations I had yesterday began with, "how do you feel about pork shoulder?", followed by a lengthy chat about regional variations, preparation methods, and wine pairings. It's no surprise that the apprentices thrive in such an environment, where cooking, eating, enthusiasm, and a no-frills education comprise your work day.



2 comments:

  1. Looking handsome! You're lucky to be an intern at fifteen. Maybe I check the market to get a ciabatta. When do you guys go there?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ana!
    We'll be there next on November 20 with more bread and goodies! But in the mean time, be sure to pop into Fifteen some morning to pick up a fresh ciabatta. We make them every day!

    Cheers,
    Ben

    ReplyDelete